What’s going at SFPL? Winter 2017-18 Newsletter:
Things continue to be busy and exciting at Salisbury Free Public Library! We really hope you will stop by during our open hours or at a special event and see everything we have to offer!
Year of the Book Grant: The library continues to collaborate with the Salisbury Community School on this year-long grant. We were able to bring author Jim Arnosky to the school for a fun afternoon of presentations. At the event each library also received free books! 65 new children’s books were donated to the public library! We also had a very successful literacy night. Over 80% of SCS families joined us dinner, a literacy presentation, free book selection, book wrapping, and storytelling. All of these events are made possible by CLiF, the Children’s Literacy Foundation. More events to come!
- Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward (Winner of the 2017 National Book Award for Fiction)
- A Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel
- The Hate U Give by A.C. Thomas (YA)
- Pachinko by Min JIn Lee (National Book Award Finalist and one of my personal favorites of the year!)
- Never Let Me Go by Kazou Ishiguro (2017 Nobel Prize in Literature)
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi (our book group selection for January 2018)
- The Moosewood Restaurant Table: 250 New 250 Brand-New Recipes from the Natural Foods Restaurant That Revolutionized Eating in America
- Trace: A Joe Gunther Novel by Archer Mayor (VT Author)
- Another Brooklyn by Jaqueline Woodson
- Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
- Hidden History of VT by Mark Bushnell
- Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck
- An Address in Amsterdam by Mary Dingee Fillmore (VT Author)
Other recent events:
- During the United Way Days of Caring four wonderful volunteers spent the afternoon at the library completing two important projects! They helped prepare donated books for circulation and reorganized our adult fiction section so every book by the same author is in the same place.
- This library has so many parties! We had around 55 people come through for our Halloween party for free pizza and cider, games, and a project.
- Next up was our fundraiser the Turkey and More Raffle! Many thanks to all who supported us by donating items or buying tickets. We raised nearly $800 for library books and programs! Congrats to the winners! Kathy Dick won the whole turkey grand prize, Cindy Quackenbush won a ½ gallon of maple syrup, Corey Many won a handmade afghan, Bill Wright won $50 of grass fed beef, Tammy Coburn won the breakfast basket, and Minda Bagley won a $30 gift certificate to Paddlers Pub.
- We also had a wonderful turnout for another great community tradition: the Annual Holiday Party! Thanks to the Devoids for the hayrides, the Tichaceks for organizing, and everyone else who pitched in to make this happen and who came out to help us celebrate! Festivities included: a bonfire, hot chocolate, caroling, tree lighting, a visit from Santa, hayrides, goulash, cider, cookies, a reading of “The Night Before Xmas” by Santa, and a book dedication and reading for all of the babies born in Salisbury this year.
- We have also enjoyed our craft nights and local history book club.
- Lastly, we are up and running on the new VT Interlibrary Loan system which makes it easier for us to request books from other libraries, and for others to borrow our books. If there is something you would like that we do not have we can probably get it in a week or less! We also do a lot of loans from close by libraries (Ilsley, Middlebury College, Platt, and Orwell).
Park Passes – The library has free and reduced price passes to the ECHO Museum, VT Historic Sites, VT State Parks, and the Billings Farm & Museum. These passes are available for check out!
FREE Wifi and computers—The library has two computers available for your use during regular library hours and wifi is available at any time. You can even sit outside and access the wifi when we are closed! An updated modem with a more stable signal was recently donated to the library.
E-books—Download e-books and audio books for FREE with your library patron number. Visit Listen Up! Vermont for tutorials on this exciting program. Please call the library or stop by for your 12-digit number. You’ll need this to sign on. Happy Reading!
Technology and Job Search Assistance—Stop by the library and we will do our best to help!
Interlibrary Loan—We can borrow books from many other libraries in VT if you are looking for a specific title we do not own.
Book Return slot (Book Drop)—located to the left of the library doors and available anytime. Thank you!!
Ongoing Book Sale—We have a huge selection of books available for sale, by donation, at all times upstairs.
- We will be holding an Art and Chocolate Show fundraiser on February 10th, 2018 from 10am-2pm. We are looking for local artists from Salisbury and surrounding towns who would like to display and/or sell their work. If you would like to give a demonstration, donate a sumptuous chocolate dessert or volunteer please get in touch. Save the date and join the celebration!
- We are also planning to partner with the Salisbury Community School for further events celebrating the book, “Brown Girl Dreaming” by Jacqueline Woodson. Details to be announced.
- Craft nights will continue on the third Tuesday of each month from 5-6:30pm.
- We will have another discussion of Lord Dunmore’s Lake in January. The date is to be determined. Call, email, or stop by to get on my email list! At that meeting we will also determine the next book and meeting time for our local history book group.
Please visit your village library
For pictures and events, visit our Facebook page — https://www.facebook.com/SalisburyLibrary
Library Hours: Tuesday 3-6pm, Thursday 2–5pm, Saturday mornings from 9am – Noon
Free Online Content:
The following free services are available to all Salisbury Public Library card holders. Follow the links below to access online content. Please contact the Library for account numbers or passwords.
|Access our Online Catalog here||Sign up for a free class!||Download free e-Books!|
|Research family history here!||Download e-books & audio||Free movies, music and e-Books!|